Rockspring Buys McCann’s HQ in the 22@ District of Barcelona

25 January 2019 – Expansión

The owner of the Mercadona logistics platform in Sant Esteve Sesrovires is now investing in the office segment in Barcelona.

International investors are continuing to back the office segment in Barcelona to benefit from the boom in demand and the growth in rents that are being recorded in the sector. The latest player to invest is the British fund Rockspring – which has formed part of Patrizia Immobilien since last year – which has purchased an office building located in the 22@ district, the area that is registering the highest demand. The amount of the operation could reach €12 million, according to sources in the sector.

The property, located at number 123 Calle Ciudad de Granada, on the corner with Calle Tánger, was the former headquarters of Laboratorios Kin until that company moved to other offices on La Diagonal. The manufacturer of dental hygiene products, which used to own the property, carried out a comprehensive renovation project, which involved its change of use from industrial to offices, and it put it on the rental market. Savills Aguirre Newman was engaged for its marketing and was also responsible for searching for an investor (…).

In May last year, the property was leased in its entirety to the multi-national advertising company McCann, which left Edificio Planeta and opened its corporate headquarters in 22@, where it occupies a surface area of 3,000 m2.

The useful surface area of the offices amounts to 2,740 m2, spread over four floors measuring 650 m2 each and an attic spanning 140 m2. The rental price agreed with McCann amounts to €16.50/month (…).

Original story: Expansión (by Marisa Anglés)

Translation: Carmel Drake

Barcelona’s Town Hall to Review 22@’s Urban Transformation Plan to Include More Public Housing

25 June 2018 – Eje Prime

The 22@ district is getting ready to make slight modifications to its construction plan. The techie zone of Barcelona may have more public housing than planned if the interests of the current municipal government get the go ahead. It wants to alleviate part of the crisis that there is in the city with respect to accommodation by providing more public housing. In total, seventy hectares are being built in this sought-after hub of the Catalan capital, which has urbanised fifteen kilometres of streets space and has gone from having 33,800 workers to 93,000.

Much of the reconstruction of the former industrial area of El Poblenou has been directed at the office market and public services. Corporate and government towers, modern spaces for startups and the giant Amazon and Catalan Universities all now live alongside each other in harmony in this enclave, whose reconversion plan began 18 years ago.

Now (…), Mayor Colau is planning to build more housing in 22@. Of the 4,000 flats that were projected to be built in this district, not even half have been actually constructed, according to El País.

Promoting more public homes is a point on which both the social and residents associations that are participating in the process, the Repensem el 22@ platform promoted by the Town Hall and the Wider Committee of experts all agree on. From the conclusions drawn from the two documents, the modifications that Colau will undertake in the urban plan just need to be defined.

Currently, the urban development plan for 22@ contemplates that 90% of the land that was being developed in the area would be allocated for economic activity and that the remaining 10% would be used for the construction of Officially Protected Housing (VPO). The parties involved in the process are clear that this percentage must increase.

Original story: Eje Prime

Translation: Carmel Drake