Supply Of New Homes In Madrid Increases By 68%

6 May 2016 – Knight Frank

We are talking about a changing trend in the new build residential market in Madrid. The projected supply is increasing significantly – up to 68% more construction permits were granted in 2015, the third consecutive year of increases – but that volume is still insufficient to satisfy demand. This is the main finding from the latest report about new-builds from the real estate consultancy firm Knight Frank.

Currently, the municipality of Madrid has a stock of around 3,000 new homes. 30% are located inside the M-30 (ring road), where supply is limited due to the shortage of land. The area between the M-30 and M-40 ring roads is home to 20% of the supply, whilst the remaining 50% is located, for the most part, in the PAUs.

The average absorption rate of the product supplied over the last year has been 37%. Most of this absorption has happened in the PAUs (12%), which indicates very reasonable levels in areas that are continuing to establish themselves.

According to Ernesto Tarazona, Managing Partner for Residential and Land at Knight Frank, “the lack of stock, together with the increase in demand has resulted in the sale of new build homes that have been on the market for years”.

In 2015, we saw how auto-promotion and cooperative activity decreased by 8%, in favour of traditional property developers. “Although it is a small percentage, the future trend points to a continuation of the positive recovery, to the extent that access for financing for property developers is more flexible”, said Tarazona.

The number of new build transactions increased by 15% with respect to the previous year. 73% of transactions were bought off plan and the remaining 27% were turn-key projects.

By area, the PAUs lead in terms of demand, with 48% and there, Valdebebas (20%) and the Ensanche de Vallecas (10%) stand out, in part due to the concentration of more affordable supply. The area inside the M-30 ring road comes next in the ranking, accounting for 23% of demand. There, the neighbourhoods of Tetuán (6%), Centro (4%) and Chamberí (4%) are the most popular. Finally, the area between the M-30 and the M-40 receives 18% of demand and the area beyond the M-40 accounts for 11%.

Original story: Knight Frank

Translation: Carmel Drake

104