Reyal Urbis To Appeal Judge’s Latest Ruling

28 September 2015 – El Economista

Reyal Urbis is just one step away from liquidation after Commercial Court Nº 6 in Madrid dismissed the real estate company’s proposed agreement to exit from bankruptcy, which it filed for more than two years ago.

On Friday, the company announced that it will lodge an appeal against the ruling made by the judge Francisco Javier Vaquer and will request the suspension of the effects arising from it, until the appeal has been settled.

The previous intervention by the judge took place on 6 March, when he asked Reyal Urbis, which has bankruptcy debt amounting to €4,236 million, to remedy some of the errors identified in its proposal. Specifically, the judge demanded a “necessary and essential objective justification” of the proposed discounts and settlements.

The real estate company, led by Rafael Santamaría (pictured above), proposed two payment alternatives for its primary creditors. Under the first, the loans would have a discount of 90% and the remaining 10% would be paid through the transfer of assets in lieu of payment. The batches would be awarded to the entities by drawing lots, a process that Reyal confirmed was conducted in the presence of a notary on 10 February. The second option for these loans consists of applying discounts of between 88% and 93%, on the basis of the syndicated loan tranches, and then deferring the loan repayments for 6 years, with a further 4 years of interest-only payments.

The judge also asked that the “drag effect” be eliminated, since Reyal was planning to extend the effects of the agreement to any dissident creditors, if approval was obtained from 75% of them. According to sources close to the process, this would mean that creditors with joint mortgages would lose their privileged position, since the current law does not provide for this effect, and so it would only be possible if the creditors voluntarily relinquished their rights.

Insolvent until 2023

According to the bill that the Economista has had access to, these matters have not been remedied by the company. Moreover, the judge ruled that the restructuring proposed by the real estate company is “clearly detrimental to the rights of the creditors” and does not guarantee the viability of Reyal. Thus, the real estate company will record “negative equity until the end of 2023 for amounts exceeding €90 million, and the plan does not set out how to eliminate this cause of company dissolution from a situation of insolvency”.

Original story: El Economista (by Alba Brualla and Lourdes Miyar)

Translation: Carmel Drake

84