26 March 2018
Meridia’s socimi is growing its participation in the office sector. The fund, led by the Catalan executive Javier Faus, bought 90% of an office building in Madrid’s financial district. The group is in negotiations to acquire the remaining 10% in the coming days. The total price for the property is expected to involve an investment of 26.5 million euros.
The building has 7,000 square meters of area, according to Meridia Real Estate III Socimi, the company through which the fund is finalising the deal. Merida is financing the purchase with equity and a seven-year loan, granted by a Spanish financial institution, of 17 million euros.
Meridia’s socimi listed on Spain’s Alternative Stock Market (MAB) on December 29, the 47th socimi to join the MAB and the last in 2017. The socimi’s shares started trading with a market value of one euro per share, giving the company a capitalisation of 78.5 million euros. The company, which was established last year, is the fund’s third investment vehicle, created by Faus in 2001.
The vehicle has attracted the attention of various investors since its inception. The last to announce its interest in the socimi was the Puig family, which owns the Puig perfume and fashion group. The group acquired 5.25% of the socimi’s capital through its real estate investment firm Inmo.
In addition to the Puigs, its main shareholders include: the institutional investor Dreof, based in New York, which holds 18.39% of the group, a church pension fund, with 15.75%, the European institutional investor Periza Industries (1.13%), the Israeli Harel investment and financial services group (11.98%) and Credit Suisse (7.88%).
The rest of the socimi’s capital is in the hands of two local family offices: Anangu Grup, the principal holding of the Catalan company Eurofred (6.56%) and the Puig family’s Inmo (5.25%). According to a document sent to the Alternative Stock Market, the president of Meridia, Javier Faus, personally owns 5.21% of the socimi.
Original Story: EjePrime – C. Pareja
Translation: Richard Turner